Michigan's DTE Energy Solar Currents Program

DTE Energy is offering incentives through its Solar Currents Program to customers who install solar photovoltaic systems with a capacity of at least 1 kilowatt and a maximum of 20 kW.

Michigan(USA) map filled with light blue gradi...

Michigan(USA) map from Crestock Stock Photo

DTE Energy is offering incentives through its Solar Currents Program to customers who install solar photovoltaic systems with a capacity of at least 1 kilowatt and a maximum of 20 kW. The program offers an upfront rebate of $2.40 per DC watt. In addition, DTE Energy is also giving a production incentive of $0.11 per kWh for the renewable energy credits of the system for a twenty year period.

Existing photovoltaic systems installed after Jan. 1, 2005, and new installations qualify for the Solar Currents Program. Existing PV systems must have a valid Detroit Edison Parallel Operating Agreement to qualify for the program. The systems must be net-metered, connected to the grid, and produce power that doesn’t exceed the on-site demands.

For new installations, interested parties must first select a solar installer and determine the appropriate size of the PV system for the location. Then the customer can submit the Solar Currents and Interconnection application forms, which you can find online at the DTE Energy web site.

Once the application is approved, installation of the PV system can begin. Then the applicant must provide proof of installation as well as copies of local and municipal inspections. The applicant must also sign and return the Parallel Operating Agreement and the Solar Currents contract, after which he can collect the upfront payment in the form of a check. Participants will also begin to receive monthly REC credits on their DTE Energy bill.

The upfront rebate amount is reduced for systems installed before Jan. 1, 2009. The system will receive 20% of the rebate total if installed in 2005 and 40% of the total rebate if installed in 2006. If the system was installed in 2007, it will receive 60% of the total rebate, while systems installed in 2008 will receive 80% of the total rebate.

The Solar Currents Program is DTE Energy’s way of complying with Michigan’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. It has a total budget of $25 million and aims to have an installed capacity of five MW. For more information about the program, you can contact:

Program Information – Solar Currents
DTE Energy
One Energy Plaza, 530 GO
Detroit, MI 48226
Phone: (313) 235-4786
E-Mail: solarcurrents@detroitedison.com
Web Site: http://www.dteenergy.com/

Disclaimer: This article does not constitute a source of official legal or financial advice. While we attempt to represent all data as accurately as possible, we advise you to refer to official government websites for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Michigan's DTE Energy Solar Currents Program”

  1. scott apple
    May 3, 2010 at 4:46 am #

    I am very interested in solar and wind incentives and have questions regarding them.
    Would you please contact me at 248-563-6463

Leave a Reply

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private.